The NSW Government is committed to reducing its carbon pollution from power consumption including:
Carbon pollution from building energy use
- a state wide target has been set to return carbon pollution from building energy use to 2000 levels (1.5 million tonnes) by 2019/20, with interim targets of 1.74 million tonnes by 2010/11, 1.67 million tonnes by 2013/14 and 1.59 million tonnes by 2016/17
- agencies will also continue to purchase a minimum of six per cent GreenPower.
Environmental performance of buildings
Government owned or tenanted office buildings over 1,000 m2 are mandated to:
- obtain a NABERS rating (National Australian Built Environment Rating System) by 31 December 2008
- achieve and maintain a NABERS rating of 4.5 stars for energy by 1 July 2011, where cost effective
- where new or refurbished, achieve and maintain 2011 targets from 18 months of the first occupancy, where cost-effective.
- Specific strategies developed for educational and health facilities
- Government agencies must purchase energy-efficient products and appliances where relevant, available and fit for purpose, with a minimum 4-star rating under the Minimum Energy Performance Standards Scheme (MEPS)